Quiz: Test Your Dental Smarts!
How much do you know about oral health?
This month, let’s see how knowledgeable you are about dental health with this moderately-challenging dental quiz! Feel free to pass it along to a friend and see how dentally-aware they are, too. Who knows? You might be surprised about how much you know (…or don’t know). And feel free to let our Guelph dentist know how you did!
Let’s get started:
1. The direct cause of dental cavities is:
- Not brushing and flossing
- Mouth bacteria
- A poor diet
2. The following describes the “dentin” layer of our teeth:
- The yellow-ish layer beneath the surface layer
- The centre layer of the tooth
- The hard, white outer layer of the tooth
- Another word for the “pulp”
3. What’s one of the classic signs of gingivitis?
- Tooth pain around the gum on one tooth
- Sharp tooth pain that extends to the root
- Gums that bleed when flossing or brushing
- Gums that are pink in colour and not red
4. When it comes to brushing, this is what dentists recommend:
- Use a hard bristled toothbrush twice a day for two minutes
- Use an electric toothbrush three times a day for one minute
- Use an electric toothbrush and brush after every meal for one minute
- Use an electric toothbrush or one with soft bristles twice daily for two minutes
5. This best describes what flossing daily helps to prevent:
- Gingivitis and interproximal tooth decay
- Gum disease and wearing of the tooth enamel
- Bad breath and cavities
- Red Gum Syndrome
6. Fluoride toothpaste is recommended by dentists because:
- It contains minerals that help to kill sugar
- It provides the most minty-fresh feel
- It contains a mineral that the teeth are already composed of, so it builds up the teeth over time
- It help to protect against tooth demineralization
How’d you do? We’d love to know! Hopefully you’ve learned something new today… or maybe you got a perfect score. Either way, we think there’s always something new to be learned about oral health… and we’ll always be here to answer any questions if you have any.
Dr. Coman Dentistry
85 Norfolk Street, Suite 308
Guelph, ON N1H 4J4